[cdt-l] Cut Bank Campground

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 21 12:29:12 CST 2007

I remember Cut Bank Campground well. We were diverted through there because
of grizzly activity on the official trail. When we arrived at the closed
campground we found a sign telling us to store all our food in our car
trunk. (Yes, this was our assigned campsite.) Since the campground was
closed there were no cars in the camp and we knew grizzlies were active in
the area. Strong feelings of insecurity! :(

Being creative campers we found a reasonable storage solution. The garbage
cans had been cleaned, washed out and turned upside down. We placed our food
bags inside the upside down cans and lowered the lid onto the can. (The lids
were fixed to be secure on the cans.)

We awoke the next morning to the sounds of park rangers unloading horses. We
followed them up the trail to the CDT junction where a sign was strung
across the trail warning of the grizzly activity. While we didn't see any
grizzlies, we were sure they were watching us. We saw plenty of signs of
them.

Ken