[cdt-l] Tom Jacoby Jan 18

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 21 12:55:59 CST 2007

I keep seeing statements about legal ownership of New Mexico property. There
is a major issue with property ownership rights in New Mexico. It is not
unusual to have several  people claiming ownership of the same property in
New Mexico. Property rights stem from Mexican Land Grants, Grants to WW II
veterans, water rights granted to WW II veterans, and US land grants and
water rights. And in New Mexico water rights pretty much define ownership of
the land in most ranchers minds. We were stopped by a couple of ranchers who
wanted to know where we were going. They made it clear they didn't want us
on their land. After we talked with them for awhile they softened that
stance a bit.

We had a hitch with the land rights attorney who wrote the New Mexico laws
trying to sort out this mess. He told us it was the law with the most
verbage to be passed in the US - including federal laws and all state laws.
It didn't solve the issue as armed gun fights still occur in northern New
Mexico. Both the CDTA and Jim Wolf's routes carefully avoid the Tierra
Amarilla Grant between Abiquiu and the Colorado state line. Ghost Ranch is
actively searching land ownership history and deeding parts of their land to
surviviors of persons they deem the rightful owners.

I guess what I am trying to say is that even if the map says BLM owns the
land you may get questioned by ranchers who think they own the land, or at
least the water rights to the land. And most of them have gun racks in their
pickups.

Ken