[cdt-l] OT- Great Divide Trail

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 17:08:31 CST 2007

I know some of you (i.e. Dickie Bird)  have hiked the GDT.  We're hoping to
do it this summer, if all goes well.  I have the guidebook and have looked
at Suge's site, but still have some questions:

1.  Maps - the guidebook lists all the Topo maps, but there is a series of
Gemtrek maps that cover the Canadian National Parks.  Can they be used
instead of the topo maps? Which maps can we omit if we are using the Gemtrek
maps?  I read that the Gemtrek maps are more current than the topo maps and
it might be possible to save weight and money by using them, in places.  I
expect that in some places the topo maps will be necessary.

2.  Anyone have maps for sale?  Do you know a good online source?

3.  Resupply - is denatured alcohol available at the shops in Canada?  Can
we resupply as we go or will we need to do maildrops to The Crossing and
Field?  I assume we can buy what we need in Waterton, Blairmore/Coleman and
Jasper.  Did you take any zero days in town?  If so, where?  Did you do a
maildrop at Sunshine? How did that work for you?

4.  Were you able to get the permits for Banff and Jasper when you were in
Waterton?  What is the advanced reservation cost?

5.  Anyone go to Kakwa Lake or to an intermediate spot between Mt. Robson
and Kakwa Lake?  I'd like to hike in the Wilmore - but an 85 km walk-out
after 12 days in the backcountry doesn't seem very workable.

6.  Any words of wisdom?

Ginny