[cdt-l] OT- Great Divide Trail

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 23 20:47:03 CST 2007

1. Maps.
I was in MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op www.mec.ca (Canada's equivalent of
REI)) today and saw that you can get all the Southern Alberta and SE BC maps
in a package (CD) for $97.95 +6% GST tax. This must be similar to the
National Geographic TOPO packages for each US state. I have not bought this
as I have accumulated most of the maps I need in the old fashioned paper
format. I bought another paper 1:50,000 map today and it cost $12.00 + GST.
The Southern Alberta and SE BC pack contains all the maps up to Jasper.
You'd need the Central Alberta package for maps north of Jasper. The company
producing these is ETopo with a website www.etopo.ca . (Prices in Canadian
Dollars)

3. Resupply
One of my friends hiked the GDT from Waterton to Mt Robson from July 23 to
Sept 17 last year. He hitched east from Field to Lake Louise to resupply. It
would be very difficult resupplying at "The Crossing" and the prices for
most things are very high. They do have a great selection of postcards
though.

4. You can book campsites ahead. My friend did not get a permit until he
reached Field/Lake Louise. But he did have the Annual Wilderness Pass. He
did not reckon he could predict when he'd be at any particular campsite. He
did meet a warden in the Egypt Lake area and was warned he'd be fined if he
was caught without a permit again. He got a permit from Lake Louise for the
rest of the trip to Jasper but did not keep to his schedule. The Jasper Park
warden he met was not too concerned about him being a day behind schedule.
See http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/tarifs-fees_E.asp?park=1  for
details of Park fees. Maybe you'll find other stuff of interest on the Parks
Canada website too.

5. The Wilmore is a very fine area. Although generally less spectacular
scenery than Jasper and Banff Parks, it is much less crowded than the
National Parks. Having said that the backcountry of most of the parks is not
too crowded especially during the work week.

6(a) My friend said one of the worst sections for navigation was in the area
of the Corbin Coal mine north of Coleman. It's evidently a lot larger than
shown on the maps.
(b) Don't expect too many GDT markers like CDT and PCT markers. My friend
said he only saw 2 of them.
(c) Calgary is a city of almost a million people with international flights
to many places in the US. It is 3 hours drive north of Waterton. Greyhound
runs from Calgary to Pincher Creek on Highway #3 about 30 miles north of
Waterton. I don't know of any public transport to the park from there - so
Taxi would likely be the only option. 3 taxi companies seem to operate in
that area.

Lastly, IMHO, as the GDT is the northern extension of the CDT, this maybe
should not be considered Off Topic.

Alistair