[cdt-l] Portable email question...

Francis Tapon ft at francistapon.com
Wed Jan 24 18:52:34 CST 2007

I used Pocketmail during my PCT thru-hike in 2006
(www.francistapon.com/pct), but for the CDT I'm considering the HP IPAQ
device (www.cingular.com/ipaq).

The Pocketmail service works fairly well, but I disliked how much the device
weighs (8 oz) and its limited functionality.

The IPAQ weighs less than 6 oz, but can't run on AAs. You'll either need a
solar panel (6.4 ounces) or just bring the charger and recharge in town.
That's the downside.

The upside of the IPAQ is that it has a MP3 player, true GPS, an 1.3 MP
Camera with flash (that can be used as an emergency light), can take short
videos, takes 4GB storage cards, has a cell phone (with crappy coverage, I'm
sure), wifi, web browsing, and it might even cook some Ramen if you ask it
nicely.

In short, you can ditch many gadgets and just take this thing.

Happy trails,

Francis Tapon
Check out my 2 minute video: http://tinyurl.com/yyzdbo
Learn about my book, Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking
Across America, at: http://www.FrancisTapon.com/book