[cdt-l] Portable email question...

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 01:57:34 CST 2007

>>And now there are threads about how to stay connected on
>>most outdoor lists.

>>Not good. Not bad. But definitely a different focus. A
>>focus that means wanting to stay unconnected is becoming
>>the aberration  and staying connected is the norm for
>>outdoor pursuits.

Curmudgeons aren't much for gossiping. On trail or off. But
that doesn't mean misanthropy is a dead culture. It's just
not well represented in social circles.

Those who seek refuge in wilderness from the modern world
will always exist, and likely in increasing numbers. But I
would argue that many thru-hikers, in the midst of the
journey, share a need for human connection over wilderness
connection, and in this aspect are more akin to their
front-country, day-hiking counterparts than might be
comfortable to admit. Whether by default, as on the AT, or
from longing, out on the remote Divide, these days the
social animal can be well fed if it so chooses. To the point
of gluttony, without question, though in much subtler ways
than for the bear who raids the picnic basket.

- bf

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net