[cdt-l] Portable email question...

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 26 12:41:16 CST 2007

I have to agree that the need to stay connected is stronger than in the past. In the last month of our CDT hike Marcia was wanting to apply for a job at Starbucks just so she could greet everyone with a "Good Morning". We started carrying a Pocketmail for the connection to aging mothers. Not directly, they won't use a computer, but through siblings who gave them feedback about our status. The connections mushroomed into many friends and arm-chair travelers.

I have been looking at alternatives to Pocketmail, also. I think it may be heavier than other alternatives and probably on its way out. (If only the new cell phone/hand helds ran on commonly available batteries.)  In a few years we probably will have all these portable electronic devices wrapped in a single small device. I hope it has a clip like the new iPod so I don't keep losing the darn thing. I think Cupcake's Blueberry keyboard may be a good answer for typing. We'll carry it when we need to enter data and leave it home at other times. Who knows where all this high tech stuff is going.

Be glad your pigeon flock is growing. It may soon be the lightest weight source of protein. They would just fly into camp each night. :)

Ken