[cdt-l] Mount Taylor

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Mon Jul 16 21:53:13 CDT 2007

The Cibola National Forest has decided to route the CDNST around the
west side of Mount Taylor instead of over the summit. Trail users will
still be able to go over the mountain if they desire.

The Society has filed an appeal -- but not with respect to the location
itself. Rather, we objected to the new routing because of the Forest
Service's failure to assure that there will be any reliable water
sources on the west slopes -- meaning that hikers would have nearly 50
miles (between Grants and Ojo de los Indios) with nothing to drink. We
do not consider this to be acceptable.

For more information, refer to the What's New section of our website,
www.cdtsociety.org , which has a link to our appeal letter.

Jim Wolf

P.S.  We will be visiting several sites along the Trail in New Mexico
and Colorado over the next month. We regret that we will be unable to
ship any orders for books, maps, etc. during that period.