[cdt-l] Mountain bikes --> Backpacking stats

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Jul 17 20:27:08 CDT 2007

One comment in this thread caught my eye - "...with declining use of the
backcountry...".

I'd really like to know where this perception has its foundation. All
anecdotal information I've heard/seen would indicate the opposite is
true. There are various political groups and industries who have an
interest in promoting the idea that people aren't heading to the great
outdoors. Federal funding for outdoor recreation surely has taken a hit...

So, I did a bit of quick research on the subject. One of the more
interesting reports I found was this one:
http://outdoorindustry.org/images/researchfiles/ParticipationStudy2006.pdf?27
(see pages 50-57 in particular)
It's from these people:
http://www.outdoorindustry.org/
 From this, it does appear the % of backpackers and "outdoor activity"
is generally down slightly. Though the trends are pretty "noisy" - lots
of up and down - and it depends a lot on which geographical areas you
look at. I'm sure if you sliced it even further to look at areas with
good access to great backpacking areas, the data would be more different
still.

I don't think they'd have an agenda to spin the data, but I could be
wrong.  Regardless, it's an interesting report.

If anyone has a good link to other reports on the subject, I'd love to
see them!

-Jonathan