[cdt-l] Numbers

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Jul 18 14:50:53 CDT 2007

There are a lot of ways to slice statistics. Numbers might be up for
individual parks, but down overall... also, national parks are only one
measure, and doesn't include large wilderness areas, national forests,
blm lands and more... Plus, things like bad forest fire seasons, floods,
and just a season of bad summer-weekend weather can affect numbers of
backcountry visits. For example, the number of people using the Mt.
Rainier NP backcountry will be WAY down this year... but because of
massive trail damage & a lengthy park closure due to flooding.

Anyway, that's one reason I liked the "people survey" instead of the
"National park" numbers.

Likewise, the totals for funding dollars can easily be mis-leading.
First, there are differences between agencies - (national parks,
national monuments, forest service, blm, etc..) some of which aren't
even in the same department (agriculture vs. interior). Also, there are
differences between funding for roads, front-country improvements,
motorized-use trails, hiking trails, etc... Depending on the report, it
could be interpreted any number of ways.

Anyway, for one snapshot & an interesting read, see this just today:
http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?4+blog+thread+ed+378

Sorry this is kind-of drifting from the topic of the CDT specifically,
but I think in the big picture it can apply there too...

-Jonathan