[cdt-l] Mountain Bikes

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 09:36:58 CDT 2007

(Oddly enough, I have not mountain biked in almost a decade. And I have no desire to do it again any time soon :) )

>> "The trail needs to be used as originally envisioned."If we are quoting Benton Mackaye, let's use his quote on the purpose of the Appalachian Trail:

"To walk. To see. To see what you see".

The National Scenic Trails were designed for the average schlub to get away from the pressure of modern society. (Heck..Mackaye even wanted work camps!)

 Notice he said walk.. Are we about to ban horses too? ;)

In all seriousness, Mackaye isn't meant to be taken as literal scripture. He had a vision of harried people  getting to a less tressful place: the wilderness.
If an alternate form of self-powered transportation is what it takes, then so be it.

But getting back to what Jim Wolf said:

"But to what extent should they be allowed on the handful of trails that have been designated as national scenic trails (and the CDNST in particular)?"

Ah..that's the question.

I for one do not want to see them in Wilderness areas. There HAS to be some places that are perhaps best left alone as much as possible.

One the other hand, to take away places already designated allowed for mountain bikes? I can't see it.

It is an interesting discussion and I know we do not want to get general, but it boils down to this debate:
"Resources are limited. How do we want to use them?"

Having a hiker and horse only trail in this climate does not seem realistic to me. I really think pushing this idea
will do more harm than good.

Again, this is just my opinion.

I'm usually wrong more often than I am right. ;)