[cdt-l] Suggestions for introductory hike

Terry Norton terry.norton at msubulldogs.org
Mon Jul 23 23:13:30 CDT 2007

> As far as RMNP, is there usually any problem getting a permit for
> weekday excursions in August?  I got the impression the park gets quite
> full.  Also was a little concerned if we don't make our mileage to a
> "designated" camp we might have a problem.

Cris,

When I did the CDT loop in RMNP two years ago, I did not have a
reservation.  The park apparently sets some sites aside for walk-up or
same day reservations.

That said, both Paul and I live less than an hour from the ranger
station at Estes.  Neither of us do much overnight travel in RMNP.
Personally, I don't like dealing with the permit hassle, and the $20
permit fee is a little steep for a weekend jaunt.  If I want to go
local, the Indian Peaks south of RMNP provide plenty of territory to
explore along with generally good trail conditions.  Backcountry
permits are required, but they can be acquired at many sites, and the
fee is only $5.  Except for a few popular lakes on weekends, I would
not expect difficulties getting a desired itinerary.

cheers,
terry