[cdt-l] Water in the Great Divide Basin

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Fri Jul 27 11:46:15 CDT 2007

Water sources south of Rawlins for July 20 and 21:

Note the new BLM route off the paved highway south of Rawlins is
marked with steel posts, usually at intersections and the last 3 mile
cross country section.  Follow Wolf's Guidebook (not the supplement)
to mile 7.2.

BLM Water sources:

Spring at 5.3 - could not locate
Impoundment at 5.6 - nearly full, usable water at inlet, muddy near
impoundment where cows were drinking

Rim Lake - water looks okay, though it is low and hard to get at.
Eightmile Lake - alkaline

(Note Paul Rau of BLM reported to me that Rim Lake was becoming
alkaline and to use Eightmile Lake, I wonder if he had this backwards.)

Little Sage Reservoir (15.4) - alkaline, a little gross water below
culvert but full of algae and is difficult to get.

Unnamed water source - no runoff adjacent to road, pond west of road
is gross, full of cattle

Bridger Pass Spring (not listed on BLM water sources, Wolf 24.0) -
excellent fenced and piped spring located 0.4 miles north of Bridger
pass via two track. Spring is located on a BLM section.

Unnamed Spring (26.2) - good fenced and piped spring. Not flowing as
strong or as cold as the Bridger Pass spring, but I did not attempt
to turn it up with valve in culvert. The impoundment below pipe was full.

Muddy Creek 4 - good flow but water was warm and cloudy, recommend
waiting to get water above cattle at Muddy Creek 2 or 3 or as far up
as possible.

Muddy Creek 1 - good

Muddy Creek Spring - in section 3 on alternate route, excellent
spring right below road/fence in willow thicket as road climbs to high spot.

North Fork Savery Creek - good flowing creek

Smiley Meadow - very small flowing creek that the trail crosses

Truckdrivers Creek - dry, small pool of water below culvert on west side

Deep Gulch - flowing, very low flow with cattle below road

All water sources mentioned by Wolf on the national forest are good
except note that the spring near the summit of Bridger Peak (Ley Map
WY42 #1) is dry.

Jeff