[cdt-l] Fire Closures - Lewis and Clark National Forest

Garret Christensen garretchristensen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 17:06:28 CDT 2007

Hey all, this is the Onion heading out of Lincoln.  I
met probably the last sobo hiker yesterday just south
of Stemple Pass.  He told me all about his crazy route
west of the Divide in the Bob, so I dropped to Lincoln
on foot from Stemple Pass in case I'd have to take his
route, which leaves the road Lincoln is on (200)
several/many miles west of Lincoln.  My guess is that
other nobo's shouldn't bother doing this.  Obviously,
the trail is cool well past Rogers Pass.  Getting from
the where they close the trail (north of Welcome Pass)
to the Flathead River to the west could be tough
though.  There's another fire in the Lolo NF (Conger
Creek Fire) that has closed all the Lolo trails in the
Scapegoat that would be the natural way west to get to
the Flathead River.  I think the easiest thing to do
will be to hike the trail north like normal until they
tell you to stop, and then there are trails east of
the Bob but still in L&C NF that will work.  My guess
is it might even save miles, but the entire Chinese
Wall is out, so that really stinks.

Good luck to all behind me on finding a route!  I'll
keep you posted.

Garret/The Onion