[cdt-l] So, here we are ... - an update

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Mon Jul 30 21:28:39 CDT 2007

Gail and I met Jim and Ginny at Kananaskis on the afternoon of Friday 27th
July. They had arrived there a half day ahead of schedule. Their resupply
box had also arrived safely. We then walked the 5 miles to Forks backcountry
campground. After supper the 4 of us shared experiences of various trails
before hiker midnight.
   On 28th we hiked 9 miles with them up the trail to North Kananaskis Pass
then down 2500' vertically to the Palliser River. The first 1300' of this
descent is done in under a mile of distance on a narrow rocky trail. So as
they said earlier "the GDT ain't the CDT - and it bears no resemblance at
all to the PCT". It felt like a lot more than 9 miles in the 80+ degree heat
and we made camp by the Palliser River.
   It was a cool 40 degrees on the 29th. Jim and Ginny continued north on
more overgrown trail towards Palliser Pass which is the southern tip of
Banff National Park. Once into the Park the standard of the trails is
generally higher but nowhere near PCT standard. They set off with 11 days of
food to get them to Field in Yoho National Park. We returned to the
trailhead via a different route. We backpacked to Beatty Lake in the morning
then did a short hike to a scenic pass north from there.
 Today (30th) the morning temperature at Beatty Lake was 35 degrees. We
spent 6 hours hiking the 10 miles via Three Isle Lake to the trailhead then
did the familiar 1 and a 1/2 hour drive back to our house in Calgary.

Alistair