[cdt-l] stock use

James McCreight jlmccreight at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:15:08 CDT 2007

That highway dosent look too bad, but as unpalatable as it may be, it's
probably for your safety and your horse's safety to not ride the Z-A trail.
First, your horse would probably hate it and, second, there are many
"crevases" in the lava that i assume would pose significant threat to your
horse's leg. I know my feet were dying after walking across the A-Z.

Yeah, it is too bad that an alternate dosent exists, but contrast that with
the fact that a trail hardly exists in new mexico. you're livin a pipe dream
if you expect them to have horse accesible trail everywhere! at least that
is my opinion. I mean, we did some disgusting road (highway) walks in NM and
we were on foot. This aint the PCT.

I think your only alternative is to simply take the attitude that horses are
acceptable anywhere you want to go - that is live in the spirit of the wild
west!! That's a huge part of the allure of the trail and I would, for one,
salute you for taking this position!! I think many people would be taken by
the novelty of what you are doing and it's relationship to the past. play
that card. :)

good luck, tree/horse hugger!!

all best,
James