[cdt-l] CDT

Tom and Donna tom87020 at mac.com
Thu Jun 28 00:18:54 CDT 2007

Hello,

We are a French couple of hikers, intenting to hike for about
5 weeks on the Colorado Continental Divide Trail, southbound,
from Willow Creek Pass trailhead (segment 7 from Tom Lorang
Jones CDT official guidebook).
We have trekked in the US before, The Appalachian Trail and
south-west New Mexico, as well as many a place around the
world, mostly the Himalayas, Tibet, South American Andes,
Africa etc... However we'd like to have some advice on the CDT
Colorado part: is the trail clearly marked all the way in
Colorado? In other words, is it easy to follow? Are there
signs, marks or cairns?
We know you are thruhikers: what can you say about the
trail in Colorado, especially across the wilderness and remote
areas like the Weminuche Wilderness and San Juan Mountains?
We intend to get off the trail a couple of times, to get
supplies , and we'll try hitch hiking to reach Denver(no buses
or public transport in the US anymore unfortunately), in order
to reach a place where we'd like to leave a few things like
for example part of the heavy 13 trails illustrated maps, some
photographic equipment, some dry food and clean clothes, etc...
Then we'll get back to the trail.
Do you have any idea of a suitable place to leave such a bag?
We have no idea where you live, but if you are around Denver,
we'd be interested in meeting you before we start - or a
friend of yours whom you could recommend for information.
We'll fly from Nice to Denver on July 11th, and be around for
a couple of days or so, to get organized.
Also, we know by experience that carrying over 40 pounds each
on our backs might be tiring... maybe after a few weeks we'll
wish to get off... One alternative in the second half of
August could be to change for a horse back expedition: riding
across the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in Colorado for 8 to 10
days, starting somewhere near the town of Salida in Chaffee
County, and ending south in the Amalosa County. Can you
suggest or recommend a reliable outfitting company, or even
better an independant guide, who would consider organizing and
leading that type of project for/with us? On the internet we
only find companies offering a few hours' and maximum one-two
days' ride with huge groups of tourists, and that does not
appeal to us at all!
Any idea or tips on that matter too?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!
Martine & Henri Ferrero
10 rue du Petit Parc
06000 Nice
France