[cdt-l] CDT Colorado Questions

Melanie Simmerman jennylind50 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 10:50:45 CDT 2007

Hi folks

I also will be in Colorado (later this summer,
mid-August through Labor Day) and wondered if anyone
had some info.

I'll be starting my section in Twin Lakes. Jonathan, I
wondered exactly where you find the trail marked on
your maps that involves the water crossing. Ginny and
Joe reported that at this time, the water is high. Of
course, August may be totally different. I guess I
also have the option of the Willis Gulch Trail.
Have you done the Wolf alternate route? Has anyone out
there on the list done it recently? I had considered
it, but pretty much decided to do Hope Pass (Ginny
also highly recommended Hope Pass).

Other stuff: I'm exploring ways to get down to Twin
Lakes. Unfortunately, my timing is bad for the
Leadville Hostel/shuttle option. There is apparently a
foot race (possibly on the CDT) the weekend just after
I arrive. Bill is full with racers, and can't do
shuttles either. So, I'm staying in Twin Lakes at the
wonderful Road House Lodge (which no one ever mentions
- it's wonderful, I stayed there when I ended my CO
section last time. It's pricey compared to the hostel,
of course). Getting there is the big hassle.

I fly into Denver. Dee Hive has a very expensive
shuttle, which I may have to do. I have been exploring
rental cars - but haven't figured out the nearest
place to get rid of the car. Won't work if it's too
far away. Still researching that option. I'd only need
it to get down there.

Bus is probably not an option. Greyhound only goes to
Frisco, right? I'll double check Greyhound, though.

Any advice for return to Denver is also appreciated. I
plan to end either in Creede or just past at Spring
Ck. Pass, so will go into Lake City, I guess. Gunnison
Airport does have car rentals, but are there any other
options from Lake City that anyone knows about?

Oh, does anyone know about the other trail leading
to/from Creede other than the 10 mile one from San
Luis Pass? I was looking at the Trails Illus. map and
there seems to be another trail (Miners Ck trail?-
can't remember the name, no map handy just now...)
that one could use to get back to the CDT from Creede?
Just looking for other options, don't necessarily want
to re-hike the same trail if I can do something else.

Can't wait to get out there.

Melanie