[cdt-l] CDT

Melanie Simmerman jennylind50 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 11:18:24 CDT 2007

To Martine & Henri,

You may want to get the Jim Wolf guide book for
Colorado. All thru-hikers (or most) use it, not the
Official Guide. The Colorado Trail book/maps are
useful as well and you will be following the CT for
some time. Trails Illustrated Maps are great, and Jim
Wolf will sell those as well. He runs the Continental
Divide Trail Alliance and has a site (www.cdta.org).
If you have time to order stuff, you may want to check
it out.

If you want to send yourself stuff (maps, film etc.)
people use the post office to mail a box ahead ("drift
box"). Put maps, town stuff, photo stuff, etc. in a
good box, and mail it to yourself addresed "General
Delivery" to a town along the trail when you expect to
be there. You have to have the name of the town and
proper zip code on the box. Also write "HOLD FOR CDT
HIKER." Put an estimated arrival date on the box, too.
You can arrange that when you get to the U.S. You do
have to send the box ahead with enough time to get to
the P.O. before you do!

A hiker called Yogi has printed both a planning guide
and town guide that lists all the typical towns where
hikers go to re-supply, also which towns have Post
Offices... I don't have the website handy, but someone
on this list will....Also, Ginny and Jim Owen also
have a great website on the CDT and list all the
towns/services along the way (www.spiriteaglehome.org
or .com - I think).

I am doing a section in CO in August from Twin Lakes
south to about Creede or Spring Creek Pass, and will
re-supply in Salida (all services), Creede (you can
walk a 10 mile trail from the CDT into town from San
Luis Pass or hitch from another location), and end in
Spring Creek Pass - heading to Lake City (all
services). You can also hitch back to Creede from the
Pass.

Last time I did Grand Lake south to Twin Lakes and
re-supplied in Grand Lake, (stopped also unexpectedly
in Winter Park - no full grocery here, just small
markets) Silverton, Copper Mt area (The ski resort did
have small shop, but I didn't use it.  Don't know if
it's still there. There are restaurants, and I think
you get a shuttle bus here to town - Frisco/or
Breckenridge? This is the free bus that Mags mentioned
in his email. A trail angel invited me and another
hiker here to his home in Breckenridge, and he drove
us to Frisco to a good supermarket.)

It's absolutely gorgeous in this stretch of trail.
You'll love it. I was there last time in July and the
flowers were fabulous.

Don't know about a particular spot for horse trips,
though there are plenty of places - check the
internet. One thing I do know. I ride and my trainer
does a lot of natural horsemanship, based on Pat
Parelli's techniques. Well, Parelli has his ranch in
Pagosa Springs. So, if you know Parelli stuff, and are
heading down south that far (it's a trail stop) you
can go for a visit. Of course, they don't do trail
rides/trips. But, I plan to check out their place when
I come back to do my next section in Colorado. It's a
bit south of where I end this year.

Well, have fun...when are you on the trail?
Melanie