[cdt-l] Water sources through El Malpais

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 08:05:17 CST 2007

We found water from Pie Town up to the Malpais. Then the Cibola NF was
closed so we didn't hike the section from the west side of the Zuni-Acoma
Trail to town, so we don't know what was happening there.

Several hikers put water caches in the east side of the Z-A trail.  We
really didn't need it at the time, since we had filled up at the windmill
near the entry to the Cebolla Wilderness, but took some anyway (which was
good since we ended up walking the highway instead of the trail to town.)

I don't know if Jonathan's maps show the Thomas Ranch, but it was a good
water source about 14 miles north of Pie Town.  All the other water sources
from town were dismantled. There was another well north of the Thomas' that
had good water for the next day.  The Cebolla well had water for the third
day.  There are other springs on Jim Wolf's route that we didn't take
because we had heard that the ywere dry, but it turned out the hikers were
following Jonathan's version, not the guidebook - which has more springs.
We went up Armijo Canyon instead so we could check out the indian ruins.
Because last year was so dry, Armijo was bone dry - but it is usually a good
source. There were cow ponds that had water, but we skipped them.

This year is likely to be much wetter than last spring - so I wouldn't
worry, except possibly about the stretch from the Z-A trail to town.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/