[cdt-l] To train for or celebrate hiking the CDT

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Mon Mar 5 14:53:44 CST 2007

Re bridges being not in place in Glacier Park
Last year we left the Canadian Border on June 12th. On the morning of June
16th we came to the crossing of the river above Red Eagle Lake and there was
no bridge there. When we got our permit we were not made aware of the fact
that the bridge was not scheduled to be put in until June 18th. The weather
for the previous few days had been very wet so the stream was in flood. We
bushwhacked up the east side of the creek, had to go 400' up a sidestream to
find a crossing point then bushwhack on. We in the end stopped early for the
night rather than fight the bush. By morning the stream had dropped
sufficiently for us both to cross to the trail.
So there are hazards with leaving the north end too early!

Alistair