[cdt-l] Airport close to the Southern Terminus

chris G chgeth at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 7 10:53:04 CST 2007

I am planning a sobo thruhike this year and I am about
to book an open-jaw flight from and back to Germany.
On my way to the US I will fly into Spokane because I
have a friend there who will be my trailmanager for
the CDT.

But I have not yet decided from which US airport I
will fly back to Germany. According to Yogi and a look
at the map there are there airport cities close to the
Southern Terminus:

- El Paso
- Phoenix
- Albuquerque

When I finished the PCT in 04 I had three weeks left
to travel around the US, but after completing a
thruhike nothing could really interest me. The big
cities that I visited like Vancouver, Seattle and
Portland seemed ugly and frightening to me. I want to
avoid that same disappointing experience when I finish
the CDT.

I will probably have one week between finishing the
CDT and flying back to Germany. In that week I want to
be in a nice and relaxed city and maybe visit a
National Park close by.

Flight prices are pretty much the same for all three
airport cities - with a trans-Atlantic flight it does
not really matter which airport I will depart from.

So which of the three cities would you consider best
in respect of getting a last nice impression before
going home to Europe?

Thanks for any advice for stupid German Tourists...

German Tourist