[cdt-l] To train for or celebrate hiking the CDT

FJ ephja at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 10:49:49 CDT 2007

Finally got a chance to sit down and give my tuppence.

<snip>

1. There was a general and entirely unwarranted perception last year that
the snow levels in "Colorado" (meaning Colorado as a whole) were low.
Reality was that the snow levels in northern Colorado (north of Lake CIty)
were at least normal - and "high" in some places.  In addition, the snow
levels in the southern San Juans were not uniformly "low" - there were
pockets of above-normal snowpack.

I agree with Jim on this point.  Most of the winter, Colorado had reported low snow levels.  However, near Easter, a huge storm hit the the San Juans area.  By that time most NoBos had already committed to a start date based partially on the levels reported earlier.

2. Given the perception re: Colorado snowpack, a number of people started
the CDT in early to mid-April.  And then proceeded to hurry through New
Mexico.  Result: they either wallowed and post-holed their way through the
"unexpectedly deep" snow in southern Colorado - or walked the lower routes
rather than the CDT - or tried to flip to another part of the Trail.

I don't know if I hurried or not through New Mexico.  I walked a pace I felt comfortable with while enjoying my surroundings.  I never felt like I rushed through any segment.  I did leave Antelope Wells on April 24.

3. Ginny and I left the border on Apr 21, didn't leave Cumbres Pass until
June 4 and had far fewer snow problems through Colorado than those who left
earlier.  To quote myself - "they had fields of snow, we had fields of
flowers."

While I did encounter a lot of snow between Cumbres & Wolf Creek
andI did post hole a lot, I wouldn't say I didn't expect that.   When I got to Colorado,
based upon information from hikers ahead of me, I did plan for a longer
section from Cumbres to Wolf Creek.  It turned out to be a bit more than I had anticipated.  I did take a lower route there but only after 2 days of walking.  I did make it through from Wolf Creek to Lake City without taking any lower route or the Creed Cutoff.  That section was probably my favorite as I had perfect solitude and was challenged by both the route and the conditions.

Good luck with whatever you decide ===> sidewinder