[cdt-l] Trails

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 23:53:21 CDT 2007

There are a lot of places on the CDT that you could go - but have you
thought about the Absaroka Beartooths (northeast of Yellowstone NP)?  It
seems to me that that would be ideal for a short trip like you're planning
because there are so many loops possible in that huge wilderness.  We did a
trip several years ago where we did three short loop hikes - one in the
east, one in the south and one in the northwest.  The southern section has
lots of lakes, some interesting off trail possibilities and beautiful
country.  There are many trails that can be put together to form loop trips.
The area is at about 10,000' - gorgeous granite, lakes and meadows.  Falcon
Press puts out a good guidebook and we used additional maps, but generally
navigation wasn't too much of a problem.  The journal from that trip is on
our website if you're interested in some ideas.

On the CDT you might consider the Wind River Range in Wyoming, the
Anaconda-Pintlars in Montana, or the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness in northern
Colorado.  All are beautiful Rockies wilderness areas that allow for many
possible loops.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/