[cdt-l] Optical Phenomenon

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:45:18 CDT 2007

I have a question -
Today as we drove down the highway near Datil, NM, just before sundown, we
observed something neither of us has ever seen before.  It was a clear
afternoon, not a cloud in the sky.  As we drove through the mountains, the
sun fell behind a small peak.  Light from the sun shone all around the peak.
  However the light wasn't white, or orange - it was a perfect round
rainbow, circling the mountain.  As we drove on, the sun appeared in part,
but the rainbow circle remained.  It was really quite cool.  A few minutes
later we passed behind a ridge and when we went beyond it, the sun was again
in the sky with a normal white light around it.  About ten minutes later
the sun went down and there was a slight orangy sunset.

So the question is, does anyone know what that kind of solar rainbow halo is
called?  Has anyone seen one?

Ginny

PS - for CDT-l - there is snow in the hills near Pie Town ;-)

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/