[cdt-l] How are the bugs for the Nobo on the CDT?

Lorine Giangola l_giangola at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 14:55:41 CDT 2007

Yes, I think that would be nuts.  The mosquitos were
pretty brutal in July, and in some places they stayed
up at night much later than I did.  I was an early
nobo last year, and the worst mosquitos were in
northern Colorado (mid- to end-June) and the Winds
(mid-July).  (One good thing about the Great Divide
Basin is the reprieve from the bugs.)

I found the flies to be more annoying than the
mosquitos.  Wyoming should have a big fly on its state
flag instead of a buffalo.  I've never experienced
flies like the ones I encountered north of the Winds,
through Yellowstone, and into southern Montana (this
was all during the month of July).  Big flies, little
flies, medium flies--all swarming, many biting.  But
all of the mosquitos and flies seemed to disappear for
the most part by early August, and I didn't use a
shelter much after that.  In July, though, I was glad
to have a tent.
Salamander

http://music.msn.com/presents?icid=ncmsnpresentstagline&ocid=T002MSN03A070