[cdt-l] Hiking the Highline Route????

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Mar 23 12:08:01 CDT 2007

We were able to hike the highline in 2001 SB starting around June 15th, but
it was a record low snow year - quite a bit lower than this year or last.
Parts of the trail were completely covered in snow, but it was pretty easy
to follow. We got lucky as some of the steep bits were just melted-out
enough that there was a 6-inch wide bit of trail to walk on. we only needed
an ice axe for the Ahern Drift bit. I think on a normal snow year, there
would be a lot more steep/icy bits. We did need to carry bear canisters
because of the "winter status" of one of the campsites. But, the park
provided these, and we returned them when we got to Two Medicine (they
didn't really hold all our food anyway).

They warned us of certain doom before we set off, but issued permits anyway
(with big "NOT RECOMMENDED" notes everywhere) That will really depend on who
is issuing the permits, and how accustomed to CDT hikers they are these
days.

-Jonathan