[cdt-l] Glacier National Park, SOBO in early July

Mr Don Grant akdongrant at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 16:32:02 CDT 2007

Dear Disco,

  I don't know if you remember me from the PCT> I am Ralph Kramden of the Honeymooners. We spent some interesting evenings with Steady and Honolulu in Yosemite and Northen California, before we parted company in Echo Lake Resort. Well, Alice and I are presently in Silver City, NM headed north on the CDT. I saw your name on the CDT-L and decided to say hi. I hope all is well with you.

  Regards,

  Ralph Kramden, The Honeymooners aka Don Grant

Lawton Grinter <lawtong at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Dan, I hiked the CDT sobo last year starting June 15th at Chief Mtn. Port
of Entry. I don´t know anything about campsite updates or the opening dates
for the Ptarmigan Tunnel but I can offer a bit of info on gear.

Sleeping Bags: A 30 degree bag would have been absolutely fine last year
and keep in mind our starting date was about 3 weeks earlier than yours.

Tents: I started with 5 other people and our shelters ran the gammet from
tarptents, to tarps, to tents, to poncho-tarps. We had some nasty weather
including downpours that lasted most of the night. Everyone stayed dry . .
. including those whose shelters weighed less than 1 pound. My advice would
be to take the lighter of the 2 shelters you mentioned as long as you are
confident that the shelter you bring will keep you dry . . . because in
Glacier there is always a good chance or rain!

Ice Axe & Crampons: The 6 of us also used different gear to get ourselves
across snowfields. P.O.D. and I used ice axes and no crampons. One guy
used crampons and hiking poles. And 3 others used nothing. We all made it
across. However, I should mention that P.O.D. self-arrested twice crossing
snowfields going up to Piegan Pass. Without an ice axe and proper ice axe
training, it could have been bad for her. I would just say use whatever you
feel most comfortable with, but if you do choose to use an ice axe, it´s
VERY important that you have been trained in how to self-arrest. And this
may sound strange, but if you do choose to bring an ice axe, keep it
accessible and pull it out before you cross a snowfield . . . I´ve seen a
number of hikers crossing snowfields with their ice axes stowed on the side
of their packs. Seems weird to me to have an ice axe with you but not in
your hand when crossing terrain that you might possibly need it for!

That´s my 2 cents. Glacier is amazing. Have a blast out there.

Best, disco

lawton grinter
PO Box 941
Crested Butte, CO 81224
http://walkumentary.blogspot.com/

Gutsy and I plan to begin our SOBO section hike of the CDT the week of July
4, starting at Chief Mt. trailhead and hopefully hiking at least to Rogers
Pass.

Does anyone have an update on the Red Eagle campsites? CDT-L messages
posted in January indicated it will be closed. Any other closings?

Will 30 degree bags be ok?

Is the Ptarmigan tunnel expected to be open by July 5?

We have a Black Diamond Megalight tent and an MSR Hubba Hubba. If it were
your choice, which would you carry?

What about ice axe and crampons?

I know that some listers are already on the trail, but if you have any
suggestions, please respond. Thank you for your comments! I don't expect
to see many of you out there--most SOBO hikers will be in GNP earlier, and
NOBO hikers will be there later than us.

Dan