[cdt-l] Leave a Trace on the CDT

Francis Tapon ftapon at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 14:47:57 CDT 2007

Jonathan Ley wrote:
I don't think breaking/bending branches is a very good option (unless this
is done as part of regular brushing/trail maintenance)... Seeing a bunch of
broken/dead branches hanging from bushes and trees along the trail wouldn't
make my hike more enjoyable, I'd just get all pissed at whoever was doing
it. It's really more a matter of aesthetics than any lasting damage the
plants (which generally grow back) - it's just a very messy/destructive way
of marking things. It's a lot better to just take a good map / guidebook and
know how to use them. If you were able to find your way, you have to assume
others can do it too...

Jonathan: Perhaps you misunderstood me.

You say "it's a lot better to just take a good map," but that doesn't solve the problem of an overgrown trail! You can have awesome maps and navigation skills, but many hikers "get all pissed" when they have to plow through miles of overgrown trail.

In Castella, CA the post office register is filled with thru-hikers ranting about "Section O", meaning "Section Overgrown."

It's interesting that when I went through it, after 250 thru-hikers, it was still very overgrown and hadly a snapped twig. So while many complain about it, few do anything about it.

If you dislike overgrown trails, use your hands and snap away.
If you prefer an overgrown trail to looking at lifeless branches, then plow and through with a smile. :-)

Hike your own hike! ;-)

QUICK UPDATE: The San Juans have solid snow above 10,000 feet. I'm in Lake City and I'm exhausted. I need to thaw out. But San Luis Mt is coming up! Sweet!

____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/