[cdt-l] Leave a Trace on the CDT

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri May 11 18:40:08 CDT 2007

Francis,

Perhaps I did... So, I guess what you're talking about is more akin to
brushing/maintaining an overgrown trail - just a little bit anyway, so
people can see which way to go? I'm not sure that you'd make a lot of real
progress doing serious brushing without tools, and while still trying to do
miles. But, I guess it couldn't hurt to try. I don't remember seeing a whole
lot of overgrown, or potentially overgrown trail on the CDT in NM (except
along the lower Gila, where it's pretty hopeless!), but I guess conditions
do change, and there are some new sections now.

Btw, this reminds me of this idea I had along the PCT of just putting a few
axes along the trail with a note attached to them, explaining to take a
moment & cut through a blow-down, then carry the ax to the next blowdown and
leave it there for the next passer-through. It wasn't really a practical
idea, but fun to think about.

I thought you were just talking more about breaking some branches/plants as
a substitute for making cairns over cross-country sections. I'm not sure
that'd be helpful.

btw, if you're already at Lake City, you must be cruising! Maybe your yo-yo
odds are looking better?

Good luck out there!

-Jonathan