[cdt-l] Hiking over 4th of July; GNP trail closures

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 23:12:29 CDT 2007

> Are we stupid to begin hiking south through Glacier
> National Park on July 5?  I am worried that we may
> not get campsite reservations, but I'm hoping to get
> workable reservations if we show up at a ranger
> station when it opens.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Dan

Most national parks reserve 20 - 40%  of backcountry
capacity for walk-in reservations.  You should check
with GNP rangers or Web site.  I've hiked a lot in
national parks and almost all of them have this type
of system.  You may have to wait 1 - 2 days before you
can start your hike (i.e. before they can fit you in).
 I've never had to wait more than a day.  The key is
to be flexible; some days you may have to walk further
than you want, while others are too short.

Again, I'm not sure about GNP's system, but I would
assume it is like most national parks.

By the way, we called GNP today.  They told us that
all of the trails in the Red Eagle Lake/Triple Divide
Pass area that were burned last year (and consequently
closed) are now back open.

Nocona

____________________________________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.