[cdt-l] Stoves, shoes and layers

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 00:14:48 CDT 2007

Last year we used an alcohol stove - we never had a problem getting fuel
along the way.  We shop as we go, minimizing mail drops as much as possible.
  Alcohol worked well for that.

Shoes - I wore running shoes part of the way, light/midweight boots in the
snow in Colorado and again in northern Montana.  Jim can't wear running
shoes for any distance hiking - they kill his feet.  He does well with
midweight Lowas.

Last year was a fairly warm year, except for the last month.  We wore Precip
rainjackets, with mixed results.  We both used a Patagonia micropuff jacket
for our warm layer.  It worked great for most of the trip.  I carried long
underwear all the way and was glad I did.  Jim didn't until September and
had a few very cold nights.  In September we added a layer - a Driclime
windshirt.  In the snows in mid-September, I was glad to have the warmth to
hike in. The micropuff wasn't warm enough alone in camp after mid-September
- I needed the extra layer.  We also added rainpants in mid-September and
needed them for that snowy stretch.  After that they were mostly dead
weight, but we carried them anyway because of the uncertainty of October
weather.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/