[cdt-l] Stoves, shoes and layers

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed May 16 13:51:48 CDT 2007

One the more interesting approaches I've seen was a guy on the PCT who just
cut a hole in a big black garbage bag, stuck his head through it, and let
the rest cover him & his pack like a poncho. He claimed it breathed really
well from underneath, and kept him dry. I think he had a hat to keep the
water from running down his neck too.

Regarding those thin w/b jackets like the precip. I think one problem is
that they have a limited life. The inside of the jacket, where the w/b
membrane is, will rub against pressure points and wear-through pretty
quickly. 3-ply jackets (which have an additional layer on the inside) are
heavier, but are more durable. Of course, there are many other approaches to
staying dry - ponchos, umbrellas, etc. each have plusses & minuses.

-Jonathan