[cdt-l] Stoves, shoes and layers

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 14:16:27 CDT 2007

> One the more interesting approaches I've seen was a
> guy on the PCT who just
> cut a hole in a big black garbage bag, stuck his
> head through it, and let
> the rest cover him & his pack like a poncho.

For awhile, I used my Tyvek ground cloth in this
fashion -- safety pins converted it from ground cloth
to poncho.  it worked OK, except in strong wind.  One
drawback was that the dirt it inevitably housed from
its primary duties caused nice big dirt streaks on me
and my pack.  No big deal; it just made me look
tougher (I think).  You can't look too clean or else
no one will believe you're thru-hiking, right?

The Tyvek stopped being waterproof after I mistakenly
washed it in a laundromat.  I later learned it leaches
highly toxic chemicals into the rinse water.  So
washing Tyvek is bad, very bad.

Nocona

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/