[cdt-l] Ghost Ranch to Cumbres Pass

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Mon May 28 14:00:26 CDT 2007

Hey, reporting from Nean's place in Pagosa Springs  Tthere's no  Internet
here  I'm on my laptop)but lots of wire/wireless in town.

As mentioned in the Wolf guidebook, water, or lack of it, will be of  no
concern after Harris Bear spring.  Expect wet feet.  You'll find  snow in patches
from Mogote Ridge north but none will pose any problems.

The route out of GH was fairly easy to follow (Box Canyon/Upper Camp and
beyond) with the only tricky part being able to recognize when to leave the
wagon trail (bushwhack) near the base of the cliff to the rock outcrop viewpoint
above at 2.9 (Carson National Forest Segment, section 4, pg. 28).  If you
come to a cairn to the right past the sage brush, you've gone a bit too  far.

I had problems trying to cross the Rio Valencia (deep, cold,  fast) and
turned back twice.  Rainman found a fallen tree across the river  near where we
thought the flagged FS crossing was.  I really should have  got a waypoint but I
think this was a bit down stream of the Wolf  crossing.  There's a segment of
signed trail in this area that  starts prior to the river crossing that leaves
you hanging (junction N 36  36.298 W 106 13.450)(it looks like a short cut on
the map).  I'm not sure  where the two routes rejoin, it was a long, wet day.
 We descended steeply  to the river at what may have been the end of the same
road (FR 274E?).

There's a couple miles along the Tierra Amarilla Land  Grant fenchline where
the fence has been laid down.  Unfortunately,  it's across the trail.  Without
guilt, regret or remorse, we stepped across  and hiked the other side.  From
mi 23.7 we continued along the fence rather  than hiking Rio San Antonio
canyon (Ley map NM 2).

A good GPS reference point is mile marker 202 on Hwy. US 64 (N 36  43.164' W
106 15.369') separating segments 1 and 2 .

The view from Brazo Ridge on a clear morning into Colorado was  outstanding.
There still quite a bit of snow, but should be much better by  the time the
majority of thru-hikers get here.  Later today or tomorrow  I'll be driving up
to Wolf Creek Pass and will let you know how it looks.

Although, Rainman and Vicki, joined by Pieps and Becca will be heading  north
from Cumbres June 1st, I still intend on flipping to MT. Whether, I hike
from Cumbres to Wolf Creek or do some other trails around here prior to heading
north remains to be seen.

Overall, northern NM has been great and is the most diverse section on  the
entire trail.  I'm looking foward to returning to finish from Pie Town  to the
border in the fall.

BTW, if you're into live music, Indiefest is going to be here in PS June
9-10.  _http://www.folkwest.com/_ (http://www.folkwest.com/)

Don't forget to get ahold of Nean when you reach town...   504-250-1791

Sly