[cdt-l] cdt-l Digest, Vol 43, Issue 31

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 12:49:39 CDT 2007

It seems that a lot of folks have gotten away with
bringing ice axes and even fuel on board Amtrak in the
past.  If you are arriving late and from another
country, I think you'll have to also try to be
inconspicuous and hope that other people's experiences
are normal -- and that no one at Amtrak either cares
or enforces their regulations.

However, if you are in the US and have the time to box
your "items" up beforehand, I think it's better safe
than sorry.  Sorry meaning they confiscated your ice
axe (you can always get more HEET and Counter Assault,
unless the store is sold out) and poles.  Or you
missed getting on your train because you wouldn't
allow them to take your axe and poles ($$$).

And I think we will need those axes, unless you are
starting in July.  I checked Flattop Mountain today
and there is still 65" of snow there (below the
divide).

Here's Amtrak's Rules and Regulations cut from their
official Web site:

(Nocona)

FROM AMTRAK:

For the safety and comfort of our passengers, we
strictly enforce the baggage limits stated in the
guidelines below. We encourage all passengers to read
these guidelines when making travel plans.

If you have any questions regarding these guidelines,
please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Guidelines for Carry-On Baggage

The following guidelines apply to baggage you bring
onboard with you as carry-on baggage:

Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no
more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included
in this limit are personal items such as briefcases,
purses, laptops, and infant paraphernalia such as
strollers, diaper bags and car seats.
50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more
than 50 lbs.
Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28x22x14
inches in size.
Visible Tag Required: Each carry-on bag must be
visibly tagged with the name and address of the
passenger. Passengers may use their own personal
identification tags, or may obtain Amtrak baggage
identification tags at station ticket offices, or
onboard trains from a member of the train crew.
Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs
and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked
baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items
are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed
in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or
onboard equipment that is specifically designed to
safely and securely accommodate the storage of the
items.
Guidelines for Checked Baggage

The following guidelines apply to baggage you check,
and which is stored in separate baggage storage areas
on a train:

Three-Piece Limit: Each ticketed passenger may check
up to three pieces of luggage at no charge. Up to
three additional pieces may be checked upon payment of
$10.00 per piece.
50-Pound Limit: Each checked bag may weigh no more
than 50 lbs. We will not accept heavier pieces.
Size Limit: Each checked bag may not exceed 36x36x36
inches in size.
Suitable Bags: Please be sure to pack your baggage
using sturdy luggage or containers that are capable of
withstanding expected handling. Please note that we do
not accept plastic storage containers, lightweight
suit bags, and other similar items as checked baggage.

Baggage Tags: Attach your name and address to each
item. Free identification tags are available at
stations or from crew members, or you may use your
own.

Prohibited Items

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both
checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or
weapon.
Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and
fuels.
Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and
swords.
Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as
liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful
bacteriological materials.
Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except
those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or
similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not
limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and
handheld devices may be carried onboard; however,
Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
Animals (except service animals).
Oversized and/or overweight items.
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item
similar to those listed, even if not specifically
mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried
onboard or checked as baggage.