[cdt-l] David Horton's planned speed hike

glen fleag fiddleheadpa at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:16:49 CDT 2007

Hello David and welcome to the CDT.
We first met at one of your masochist races (91) and then I contacted you a
few times when i was attempting a long run/hike in 2001/2002

Anyway it's good (IMO) that you are doing this BUT, of course there will
always be some controversy over this "official" thing.
  Many of us CDT hikers don't want the trail to be a continous marked
footpath and enjoy the CDT for what it is: a hike to test your skills in map
reading, bushwhacking, water finding, route creating, and sometimes: how far
can i go before i have to head to town, among some.

Of course there are lots of "official trails"

Theres the CDTA   (people who prefer to leave it out of wilderness areas)

There's the CDTSociety's  :   Jim Wolfe's route which is probably the best
in terms of putting the trail where it belongs in terms of scenery,
wilderness, water sources, etc.

Theres Jonathon Ley's :   The one that i believe most thru-hikers now take
because it's a cheaper option buying the maps.

Theres Backpacker Magazine (that dirt bike and 4 wheeler mag that is trying
to create their own route for some reason)

There's Ray Jardines (i remember he skipped a ton of beautiful scenery in NM
so he could go past a Howard Johnsons near Grants, which completely turned
me off from his recommendations)

There's mine:  Which changes every time  i hike it     and THAT's what makes
the CDT the BEST!

There's a hundred other peoples.

And there's yours.    I hope you do lots of research cause you have a lot of
choices:

The start:   (not only 3 different places for northbounders,  but immedietly
you have actual divide (private land), road walk (get used to that), and
some semi marked trail through desert that may get you good and lost right
in the git-go.

Through the Gila,

Tierra Amarillo vs Jicarilla vs the hiway,

Creede cutoff (i understand neither Brian Robinson nor Squeaky took it but
most of my friends have, simply cause they were northbounders and there was
too much snow)

Coming into Winfield there's a few different possible routes,  (tincup, snow
pass,

Red desert (of course i skipped most of CO which has many choices everyday)
  but the Red Desert area of WY has lots of choices also.   cut through the
middle (not much water but probably not a concern for a supported hike)  go
to Rawlins and then cut through the middle (more water but of poor quality)
  or go the northerly route through the mtns.  (Probably the most scenic and
best but longer)

Through yellowstone: you have to go where they let you as there's often
grizzly closings

Out of Mack's Inn;   Jim Wolfe probably has the best here

Out of Lima (we searched for over a day to find our friend Sly in 2002 on
all the known routes and found out later we were close but theres' so many
different ways to go.)

Anaconda cutoff:   Again, not as close to the divide, or wilderness but
probably the route that most take (I believe)

Through the "Bob"  (my favorite section)   but so many choices  (in 2002, we
took a westerly route that was awesome because of too much snow (in July)
not official but compromises need to made on this trail almost daily.

Then of course through the most scenic NP in the lower 48:  Through Glacier!
   And once again, you have to take what they give you for grizzly reasons
as well as snow and bridges.
I am always a bit bummed when i see people more and more going out at the
Chief Mountain takeout on the border as it makes for a boring, in the trees,
non scenic finish to a great trail.   when the Waterton Lakes finish makes
for THE MOST SPECTACULAR finish of any of the big 3!
(and there's a restaurant in the Canadian town there that has caribou on the
menu!)

Anyway, I'm not trying to turn you away from your goal of holding (at
different times)  records for the 4 most popular trails in the US (west
coasters might argue the LT vs so many good ones in the west)

I think it's a grand goal,   but i do believe you will have to do a lot of
research and count on getting lost  quite a bit.    Possibly you'll have
people along who know the trail and will take you their favorite way.

It's a great trail.   I know that you will get some flack from folks who
don't like doing it fast.  I also know that you will catch more sunsets and
sunrises then they will and see more wildlife because you will be out there
when the wildlife is busy.

Have fun and hopefully i didn't piss too many people off with my ideas and
thoughts.     fiddlehead

Hi to all of you on the cdt-l.   I am planning on doing the CDT in the