[cdt-l] David Horton's planned speed hike

Megan Ream Megan at cdtrail.org
Tue Oct 2 12:36:44 CDT 2007

Well done!

Megan Ream
CDTA Development Coordinator
303-838-3760

-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net
[mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Bruce Ward
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 11:18 AM
To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [cdt-l] David Horton's planned speed hike

Bruce Ward from the CDTA here. Not sure where Glen gets the impression
we do not want the Trail in Wilderness. We have spoken very adamantly
about our focus on the "primitive and challenging" nature of the CDT
that we are striving for. We also have spoken clearly about our position
that the Trail and Wilderness are compatible even though some would not
agree.

As a bit of additional background, we were formed to assist the land
management agencies in the efforts to complete, maintain and protect the
CDT utilizing volunteers and private sector support. It is important to
understand that while one route may appear to be preferable to another
from a thru hikers standpoint there are a variety of archeological,
political, environmental and private property issues that must be dealt
with to ensure the long term viability of the route.

While there are infinite ways to travel from Canada to Mexico, there
will ultimately be one congressionally designated Trail and the CDTA,
the leading non-governmental partner, with the help of the land
managers, local grassroots organizations, thousands of volunteers and
funding from a wide variety of sources will work to be sure that there
is a world class Trail that generations to come will value and
appreciate. It is also important to understand that while we admire the
commitment and perseverance of all those who undertake the entire trail
our work must truly be to create a "Trail for All Americans" and our
international visitors.

We invite you to join us in this historic undertaking and appreciate
your interest in helping.

Bruce Ward
Executive Director
Continental Divide Trail Alliance
PO Box 628
Pine, CO 80470

Tel.  303  838 3760
Cell: 303 917 1476
Fax: 303 838 3960

Shipping Address:
CDTA
13700 Highway 285
Pine CO 80470
" I firmly believe that if you follow a path that interests you, not to
the exclusion of ...cooperation with others, but with the strength of
conviction that you can move others by your own efforts, the chances are
you'll be a person worthy of your own respects. "

- Neil Simon, (b. 1927)
American playwright, screenwriter