[cdt-l] David Horton's planned speed hike

Bruce Ward bruce at cdtrail.org
Tue Oct 2 12:46:14 CDT 2007

As many of you may be aware the Forest Service is seeking comments on a
Proposed Directive. Here are the CDTA's comments on Wilderness.

11.	CDTA recommends locating the CDNST in Wilderness, as much as
possible. CDTA believes the nature and purpose of the CDNST is
consistent with the Wilderness Act, and that the primary uses, hiking
and horseback riding, are of traditional importance in the management
and use of Wilderness. CDTA also believes it is appropriate to construct
new trails in Wilderness to achieve the desired goals of the CDNST.

Official Comment:

CDTA-22: CDTA agrees it is appropriate to locate the CDNST in
Wilderness, as much as possible.  CDTA believes the nature and purpose
of the CDNST is consistent with the Wilderness Act, and that hiking and
equestrian trails are of traditional importance in the management and
use of Wilderness. CDTA also believes it is appropriate to construct new
trails in Wilderness to achieve the desired goals of the CDNST.

The CDNST Study report states "the legislative histories of both the
Wilderness Preservation Act and the National Trails System Act seem to
indicate that a National Scenic Trail designation in wilderness areas is
an appropriate aspect of both public programs." It further goes on to
state that foot and horseback trails are of traditional importance in
the management and use of wilderness. (Study Report, page 12)

Bruce Ward
Executive Director
Continental Divide Trail Alliance
PO Box 628
Pine, CO 80470

Tel.  303  838 3760
Cell: 303 917 1476
Fax: 303 838 3960

Shipping Address:
CDTA
13700 Highway 285
Pine CO 80470
" I firmly believe that if you follow a path that interests you, not to
the exclusion of ...cooperation with others, but with the strength of
conviction that you can move others by your own efforts, the chances are
you'll be a person worthy of your own respects. "

- Neil Simon, (b. 1927)
American playwright, screenwriter