[cdt-l] Mt. Taylor

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Wed Oct 3 11:47:50 CDT 2007

dickiebird wrote:
> Hi Jim: I must have missed something. Did the Forest Service route the trail
> around Taylor? I remember Gooseberry spring at the base and two others just
> the other side of Taylor (within a days walk) that were flowing water so
> cold you could chew it. Does the CDT still use T77 up and over Mt. Taylor?
> --Dick E. Bird

Yes, the official route is to be located around the west side of Mount
Taylor. It may have its advantages, offering an alternate, offroad,
location that can be used if snow/weather conditions on Mt. Taylor are
adverse. And as a general rule there will be some water available,
particularly at Ojo Piedra (though it dried up in 2006). Hikers will
still have the option to use the existing route over Mt. Taylor, with
water available at Gooseberry Spring, Upper American Spring, and
probably others mentioned in the guidebook as well.

The controversy thus is more a matter of principle than actual hardship:
the Forest Service flat out says that it's ok to leave hikers with the
50-mile dry stretch, without accommodating them if natural sources dry
up (as we had suggested) with temporary caches or seeing that existing
stock watering troughs are filled. I don't see how this can be squared
with the goals of the National Trails System Act to provide "maximum
outdoor recreation potential" and to promote "enjoyment" of the
qualities of the area.

The Ojo Frio to Jones Canyon trek is more challenging. The spigot in the
valley close to Cabezon can be used to reduce the waterless mileage, but
that sacrifices some great mesa-edge scenery. We intend to look into the
problem with the well at Arroyo de los Cerros Colorados (Piedra Lumbre
3:2.8). [If anyone has any information why it was dry this year, please
pass it on.]

Also, it is my understanding that Mount Taylor has special religious
significance to the Acoma people. Hikers should be aware of the
sensitivity of the area and refrain from disturbing any objects or
archaeological sites near the summit. (In discussions with the Forest
Service, it was always the Acoma -- and not the Navajo -- whose concerns
were of primary concern.)

Jim Wolf