[cdt-l] Mt. Taylor

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 09:52:48 CDT 2007

Bruce - I think you should actually READ what I write before you answer.  I did NOT express disrespect for either the Navajo or their religion.   I DID express a lack of respect for the arguments that have kept the CDT off Mt Taylor for so long.  And for the gutlessness of the bureaucracy.     Now, I wonder how much you really know about Mt Taylor?  Do you know, for example, that there are races run across the mountain?  Or that it's used as a picnic and party spot by the locals - including the Navajo and the Acoma?  Or that it's a local dayhike destination?  Or any other use that one might find for a mountain in their back yard?  Telling me that thruhikers walking across Mt Taylor would be any more disrespectful than what happens there on a regular basis is utterly ridiculous.   I also understand at least as well as you that the bureaucracy is NOT likely to find the guts to overcome their excessively PC mindset.
 As far as the native Americans are concerned, I just spent 6 months doing a concentrated tour of many of the "native American" archeological sites in the US and Canada.  I damn sure didn't do that out of a lack of respect for the various cultures.  If you want to find out where I stand on the subject, I'll be doing a slideshow/workshop on that specific subject on Sunday afternoon at the ALDHA Gathering.
 Now allow me to put on my trail designer/construction/maintainer hat - if you build a trail that nobody uses, then you've wasted the time, energy and money.  Completing a "CDT" (or any section of the CDT) that nobody will use just for the sake of completion is neither a reasonable nor a worthwhile goal.  Completing the "best possible CDT" is both reasonable and worthwhile.  "Best possible" does NOT include 50 mile waterless sections - nor does it include 30 mile loops that drop a hiker less than a mile from where they started - nor does it include long roadwalks.   Those are sections that thruhikers are generally not willing to walk - and there are few, if any, others who will use them either.  I wonder  how many people have actually walked the route though the Chain of Craters?  I know there are a few - but I'd bet that it's less than 1% of thruhikers.  Who else would use it?   But we've had this conversation before, haven't we?

At least one positive effect comes out of the poor trail decisions - the hikers  (you know - those people who are the only real client base for what you do?) will be encouraged to continue the tradition of "designing their own hikes" rather than blindly following the "official" route.    BTW - after our conversation last year we didn't follow up on the Temple Pass route that we talked about.  So - what happened? Did the Forest Service get it's favored route - outside the wilderness? Or is the argument still open?

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:23:46 -0600From: bruce at cdtrail.orgTo: cdt-l at backcountry.netSubject: Re: [cdt-l] Mt. Taylor

A lack of respect for native American cultures and sacred areas will not help any of us who are trying to work through complex issues with a variety of tribes and local residents. In fact it creates increased opposition to the Trail. The posting below is very unfortunate and not at all in the spirit of those of us who are trying to get local communities along the CDT to become more enthusiastic about helping.
The Forest Service and other land managers that are striving for a completed CDT should be commended for the work that they do trying to bring together local and national interests. This is difficult no matter where you are, but especially difficult in the areas the Trail traverses in New Mexico.

Bruce Ward
Executive Director
Continental Divide Trail Alliance
PO Box 628
Pine, CO 80470

Tel.  303  838 3760
Cell: 303 917 1476
Fax: 303 838 3960

Shipping Address:
CDTA
13700 Highway 285
Pine CO 80470

“ I firmly believe that if you follow a path that interests you, not to the exclusion of ...cooperation with others, but with the strength of conviction that you can move others by your own efforts, the chances are you'll be a person worthy of your own respects. ”
- Neil Simon, (b. 1927)American playwright, screenwriter

From: cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Ryan JordanSent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:05 AMTo: cdt-l at backcountry.netSubject: Re: [cdt-l] Mt. Taylor
Clearly, lots going on politically down in that area. Thanks for the education everyone and forgive my dogmatic approach!Ryan