[Cdt-l] Gila concerns

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Apr 30 14:09:07 CDT 2008

I don't think the fords on the lower Gila will be the main problem
(unless there is some spring flooding), it's the fact that the trail
between the fords hasn't been maintained in a while, and might be hard
to find/follow (though, the canyon is really easy to follow... just
follow the river!). That said, the trail was never in very good shape,
so I'm not sure it'll be much worse than it ever was.

As for the upper Gila (i.e. middle fork / west fork) - that's a whole
different thing. The trail "was" a lot nicer, used quite a lot, and
maintained. It's hard to say what damage might have occurred in the past
winter however. Just keep in mind that advice you'll get - even from
local park rangers - won't always be accurate. What they might consider
"unpassable", could be "no problem" to a seasoned hiker. They tend to be
overly conservative on these things. This is always a problem - because
if the trail is truly "unpassable", it's hard to know based on what you
get from rangers.

Also, whatever report you get from this year's hikers won't be a
comparison vs. what the trail used to be like... You might get a report
like - there were "tons of ford, had a problem following the trail, what
a mess"... but that could just be that the hiker in question wasn't
mentally prepared or didn't navigate very well. Or, it could be totally
accurate. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should take all
advice on trail conditions with a grain of salt, and consider the source
- do you know them? what experience do they have? what agenda might they
have? might they be exaggerating difficult conditions like many
storytellers do? what other information have they provided & how
accurate was that?...

-Jonathan