[Cdt-l] SW spring '08 fire outlook ...

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 21:51:35 CDT 2008

.... doesn't bode especially well for getting through New Mexico without
forest closures to contend with.

Despite the wettish winter in parts of the Southwest, fire season is
already upon us, with recent blazes in the Manzano Mountains, as well as
the Coronado and Kaibab forests in Arizona. Barring any beneficial
precipitation, the Cibola National Forest, Mountainair Ranger District
(NM) will be closed to public entry in the coming weeks. The Lincoln
National Forest in NM will apparently be closing as well. I wouldn't be
surprised to see the same for Mount Taylor, although I'd imagine the
Gila would probably remain open when northbounders are passing thru.

As a side note, the Middle Fork of the Gila seemed to endure the big
monsoon flood of summer 2006, and the trail along the river stayed
intact. I don't think this winter brought anything quite that severe,
and the headwaters probably saw more snow than rain at that time of
year, so the risk of flash flooding would have been less. But... haven't
been there in a year, so can't say for sure.

- blisterfree