[Cdt-l] has anyone used the steripen water purifier?

Brian Dickson briansolar1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 04:08:45 CDT 2008

Hi folks,
http://www.steripen.com/
this water purifier uses UV light to blast bugs in water including giardia. Looking at the test results it looks far more effective at that job than iodine, chlorine or other water filters. The adventurer model looks the best fit for backpacking.
advantages
-effective
-fairly quick
-light 105g <4oz

disadvantages
-eats AA batteries (I think a set would last 50 litres, maybe 5 days for two people). it comes with an add on solar charger but this takes 2-3 days to charge and i can't find the weight of the charger on the website.
-possibly slightly delicate

I wonder if any of you out there have any experience or comments on the steripen?

brian