[Cdt-l] PCT vs. CDT - some questions

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Dec 12 14:26:33 CST 2008

Wow, there's more feedback on this than anything in the past 4 months!
Here's my 2 cents...

First, I have some thoughts on this on the FAQ on my site at:
http://www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt/cdtfaq.shtml
(see the bottom)

But, this isn’t exactly the question you asked… Here’s more of my take…

Both of these trails are spectacular and wild, and I doubt you’d regret
either experience. The PCT is a more consistent trail. The tread is
generally always good, it’s nearly all actual trail, the views are
almost always superb, the weather (at least in California) is often
consistently nice during the summer, the grade of the trail is never too
steep, and it’s easier to find your way around. That said, it is
certainly a wilderness experience, and very tough challenge – if nothing
else, simply for the walking. There are a couple areas (stream crossings
& mosquitoes for example) that can be more of a challenge on the PCT
than CDT (depending on the year). The weather in Northern WA can often
be a real challenge too.

The CDT generally has higher highs, and lower lows. Some of the scenery
is really mind-blowing (Wind River Range, Glacier NP, San Juans), but
there are also stretches of walking on (usually remote, gravel or dirt,
and traffic-less) roads, or through forested tunnels, or across
relatively uninspiring landscapes. Often, the trail is well-graded,
well-marked, and well-maintained… sometimes, it’s none of these. The
weather can be a real challenge… it’s generally a colder experience (at
least it was for me – I was wearing warm clothes more often on the CDT
vs. PCT). I cowboy-camped (i.e. went without tarp/tent) a lot more on
the PCT than on the CDT. And navigation can be more of an issue…  The
“weather window” either NB or SB on the CDT is narrower as well. That
tends to “bunch-up” the population of hikers… at least at the start.
Then again, there is a lot more variety of routes and “approaches” (i.e.
flipping, NB vs. SB, etc) on the CDT, which has a mitigating effect on
the bunching.

As for the people, you’ll encounter other hikers on either trail… and in
either case, since the “thru-hike window” is narrow, there will be
others on a similar schedule as yours. On the PCT there will be more
people – this can be good and bad… It’s good because it can be really
nice to hike with someone; the people are generally very interesting and
kindred souls. But, if you really want to hike alone you can. It's just
that it might mean saying adios to some friends you've made... that can
be the harder part of it. That said, there will be plenty of
opportunities to find solitude and a wilderness experience without too
much effort. I think it’s a good mix. On the CDT, there are fewer
people… that’s again good and bad. It’s good if you want to hike alone
more. But, if you do want to hike with others for occasional
companionship, there are fewer people to pick from.  Luckily, most of
them will be very cool & interesting people, but it’ll more likely be a
small pool of them…Everyone has a different style and pace, so if you
want to hike with others, it helps to have a larger pool. One other
thing – there is more of an established community along the PCT (i.e.
more trail angels, more day-hikers & week-enders, easier hitching to
towns, and more planning/logistical resources, etc.).

Also, the PCT has better stickers. They're silver/shiny, and look cool
on your car bumper. The CDT ones that I've seen aren't quite the same. ;-)

So, which trail is "right for you"? I have no idea.

-Jonathan