[Cdt-l] PCT vs. CDT - some questions

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 14:26:46 CST 2008

From my quick and dirty cdt guide:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/cdt_doc.html

APPALACHIAN TRAIL vs. PACIFIC CREST TRAIL vs. CONTINENTAL DIVIDE TRAIL

    * Needless
to say the AT and the CDT are not alike in anyway. They are both long
trails that goes through the mountains… and that is where the
similarity ends
    * A better comparison is between the CDT and the PCT
    * Both are about the same length, go above treeline and      in remote areas
    * As with the PCT, the CDT is open to horses. Currently      parts of the CDT are also mountain bike accessible
    * The
PCT is finished, is well marked and is relatively well used. The CDT is
unfinished, is not well marked in many places and is very unused in
places
    * Take most thru-hikers 4-5 months to hike the CDT
    * Logistics are similar to the PCT; about 5-7 days in      between resupplies
    * A
NoBo will start in late April and typically finish in September. Start
too early and you hit much snow in the San Juans of Colorado. Finish
too late and you hit snow in Montana
    * A SoBo will start in
mid-June and typically finish in November. Start too early and you will
see much snow in Montana. Dawdle too much and you may hit snow in the
San Juans.