[Cdt-l] GPS recommendations

Bruce "Buck" Nelson buck at bucktrack.com
Tue Dec 30 14:20:14 CST 2008

Hi Melanie,

I'm a bells and whistles minimalist, too. Actually, I'm going to do another post specifically on my take on GPS units later, but briefly:

I have owned a number of GPS units, including the etrex which is a very good value. On the CDT I used a Garmin Vista HCX which worked great until it died (they replaced it, free) and then a Garmin Legend HCX. Both of these units do mapping. In other words they show you on a mini topo map where you are. You still have to be able to read topo maps and know your way around the woods but I'm going to say flat out that they will make navigation much, much easier. If you want to use a GPS I highly recommend a mapping unit such as the two listed above. The extra dollars are money well spent.

Good luck!

Colter

http://www.bucktrack.com/Continental_Divide_Trail_Updates.html