[Cdt-l] GPS recommendations

Sly hikertrash at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:59:22 CST 2008

One big advantage of the newer Garmin mapping GPS is that in Yogi's
planning guide has all the maps you'll need for the entire trail,
including most alternate routes.

I used a Legend C last year which only held 24MB and not quite the
entire trail.  It's really pretty neat locating yourself on the GPS or
on Jonathan's maps using the compass rose.  A GPS probably also helps if
you need to bail without carrying larger maps.

I also entered all my nightly stays, or where I left the trail to get
into town.  It's cool being able to see where you stayed each night.

Generally, I think a Legend Hcx or Vista Hcx would be adequate.

Sly