[Cdt-l] GPS recommendations

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Dec 30 19:59:23 CST 2008

It really depends on how you want to use the unit. There isn't a really
accurate "GPS route" of the entire CDT (i.e. waypoints of the whole
trail - some people have made them, but the trail keeps changing, and
there are some issues with route choices, etc). That'd be thousands of
waypoints anyway... If you just need to find your location, you don't
need any waypoints stored... or maybe just a few of them. You could also
save waypoints of your camp spots, and other points of interest.

FWIW, I have one of these:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=260#featureTab
It's about as light as you can go for a decent GPS, and is also cheap.
It has a hard time working in thick forest or canyons, but is pretty
good in the open (which is what a lot of the CDT is).

-Jonathan