[Cdt-l] Antelope wells route

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:25:06 CST 2008

Most people who start/stop at Antelope Wells end up basically road-walking all the way to Silver City.  That's a really rough way to start/end your hike.  In 2006 Jonathan's maps showed an alternate route through the Big Hatchet mountains that avoids part of the roadwalk, but you still spend a lot of miles on pavement.  (He may also show the official route now - he didn't have the information when we hiked in 2006.)

On our website we have a map of the 'new' official route through the desert from Crazy Cook Monument through Lordsburg to Silver City. http://spiriteaglehome.com/bootheel.html  I don't know how much of the route is marked now (only the first 40 miles was marked in 2006, but it was easy enough to follow the mapped route) but you can ask the BLM in Lordsburg what the current status is.  Perhaps CDTA can tell us?  Jim Wolf's route also avoids pavement for the most part.  IMO, either his route or the official route is more interesting than starting or ending your hike with 50 or more miles on pavement.  John Brennan used to have a list of health food stores along the trail.  If he's still on the list, maybe he can chime in?  Colorado should be pretty good for finding health food stores.  Silver City, NM probably has at least one health food store.  Possibly Grants.  Possibly Rawlins or Lander in Wyoming.  Butte and Helena would probably have protein powder.  Other than that, there probably aren't a lot of health food stores.  The CDT goes through some very small towns.  Have you tried doing a Yahoo yellow pages search?

Ginny> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:03:58 -0800> From: bealsjw at yahoo.com> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Antelope wells route> > Does the Antelope wells route stray from the road> walking? I don't have the maps right now, they are> being printed and I want to move forward with my prep.> So I appreciate the help I am getting. Another> questin I have; does anyone remember any spots where I> could buy protein powder and stuff like that along the> way. I had a dietician make me a plan for long> distance backpacking in hopes of quelling the appetite> and cravings. Anyway that last doesn't matter much. > My buddy was talking about shoulder deep powder in> telluride ski area, so I hope bob (the sun) is on my> side for this summer. Thanks -Joe> > > ____________________________________________________________________________________> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs> _______________________________________________> Cdt-l mailing list> Cdt-l at backcountry.net> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l